Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Armand: Man of Compassion and of Music

When I came to be the pastor of New Hope I was surprised by the amazing talent of our accompanist, Armand Melnbardis. I had never heard anyone play the keyboard with such a flare for making it sound joyful and relaxing. Before long, I also saw something even more important about Armand. He is a man of compassion who enjoys learning about how to have healthy and loving relationships.

Armand attracted friends to his concerts. Occasionally they would come to hear him play the keyboard and the violin in New Hope worship services. And then I saw him begin to attract friends to our Real Love Groups. He gave his time and attention to people who wanted to learn how God ‘s grace flows thought people when they are able to receive and give unconditional love.

Sindy Young was also from Latvia, died of cancer almost 5 years ago. Her’s was the first funeral I conducted at New Hope. Erma Dreas tells me that she remembers a time when Armand called and asked, “Will you take care of Sindy’s baby while we try to encourage her and bring her out of serious depression. He recruited help, offered his friendship and did what he could in a desperate situation.

The longer I have known Armand, the more I have developed respect for his compassion. When I started the first Real Love group at New Hope, Armand was there from the first meeting. Over the years I have seen him grow spiritually and emotionally.

Go with God, Armand. We will keep you in our hearts and pray for you to find a great church, people through whom God’s love will flow to you, and many opportunities to serve God by loving others unconditionally.

No comments: