Tuesday, August 25, 2009

How to Change the World

There is a story of an old man who said, "When I was young, I wanted to change the world. I found I could not do that, so I tried to change my community. I found I could not do that, so I tried to change my family. I found I could not do that, so I decided to let God change me."

The strange thing is God changed that man, and as a result, the world was changed. It became a better place.

Jesus is changing hearts today, at the price of his cross. He wants you and me to look at our own lives and tell the truth about our need to have him change us.
Like the old man in the story, our greatest temptation is to think so much about changing other people that we never think about our own need to change. I want to encourage you to look not at what you can criticize in others but at what you need to give over to God in your own life. Jesus used the image of trying to take a speck of dust out of someone’s eye while you have a huge chunk of wood over your eye. First remove the obstruction from your own eye, he said, and then you may be able to help a brother or sister who needs to change.

Tell God the truth about what needs to change in you. Jesus is changing lives today. Tell God today, even before you leave the church building, that you are ready to let him change you. Watch him make the world a better place.

No comments: