Thursday, May 28, 2009

Power from the Holy Spirit

Pentecost is the day the followers of Jesus were praying in Jerusalem and were filled with the Holy Spirit. Jesus had told them to wait in Jerusalem and said, “John baptized with water, but in a few days you will be baptized with the Holy Spirit…. You will receive power after the Holy Spirit has come upon you.” (Acts 1:5,6)

I want us to think together about what the Holy Spirit is giving us today. What power will the Spirit give you this week? What power will the Holy Spirit give us, New Hope Baptist Church?

First, the Holy Spirit will give us power to obey what Jesus told us to do.
“This is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, says the Lord: I will put my law within them, and I will write it on their hearts; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people.” (Jeremiah 31:33)

Second, the Holy Spirit will give us God’s presence and comfort.
“But because I have said these things to you, sorrow has filled your hearts. Nevertheless I tell you the truth: it is to your advantage that I go away, for if I do not go away, the Advocate will not come to you, but if I go, I will send him to you.” (John 16:6-7)

Third, the Holy Spirit will give us power to speak the languages of those we are trying to reach and will enable us to be God’s family.
“And at this sound the crowd gathered and was bewildered, because each one heard them speaking in the native language of each.” (Acts 2:6)
“Don’t you know that you yourselves are God’s temple and that God’s Spirit dwells in your midst?” (1Corinthians 3:16)
“All the believers were together and had everything in common. They sold property and possessions to give to anyone who had need. Every day they continued to meet together in the temple courts. They broke bread in their homes and ate together with glad and sincere hearts, praising God and enjoying the favor of all the people. And the Lord added to their number daily those who were being saved.” (Acts 2:44-47)

No comments: