Thursday, August 28, 2008

Ravenous Wolves

Jesus gave us a warning about our tendency to judge people by their outward appearance. He said, “Watch out for false prophets. They come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravenous wolves” (Matthew 7:15). There are people who work on presenting an outward appearance that fools us into trusting them. They want our trust because they want to use us for their own selfish purposes. Jesus' guidance is this: Question your own judgment of another person’s impressive outward appearance. Looks can be deceiving. Don’t relax your vigilance. Pray for wisdom. Use your critical faculties. Be on your guard!

Years ago, a friend asked me if the church of which I was pastor could help a young woman. This compassionate man had developed a ministry to women in prison. One young woman in his imprisoned flock had gotten out of prison. She had an infant to whom she had given birth in prison. He was asking us to provide some diapers and formula for the baby. I found her living in a small apartment. The TV was prominent in the apartment. On the table was printed material from a certain “Television evangelist.” She told me that she has sent him some money. I asked why. “Because,” she said, “he told me that if I would send money to him, I would get more money.” I told her it was a scam. “Even though he looks and sounds holy,” I told her, “he just wants your money.”

Jesus calls false prophets “ravenous wolves.” “Ravenous” means “hungry”. They may talk about God’s love, but they are not living out of a fullness of God’s love. They are emptiness tying to be filled, and they will use you to fill it. That is why Jesus says, “Watch out!”

No comments: