Friday, February 4, 2011

The Joy of Preaching

As we begin the New Year, what are you most thankful for and most excited about? As you might expect, my heart gets beats faster and my gratitude flows for the opportunities I have to preach. Each week, I get to study and listen to a passage of the Bible and then tell you what I think I have heard. It is my privilege and responsibility to try to bring a word from God to a congregation of people who listen and try to be shaped by truth from the Bible.

Preparing to preach is a daily, continuing job. Most days, if anybody asks me, “What are you doing today?” I can honestly answer, “Getting ready for Sunday.” But, to be open with you about how I get ready, I have helpers. I remember, when I first started learning what preaching was all about, I realized that I need lots of help. My help comes in the form of commentaries, books, and other preachers’ sermons. My challenge is to keep you, the people of New Hope in mind as I prepare. The message is not a general message for everybody. It is for a specific audience: you, the people of New Hope.

What I hope will happen when I preach is that someone will hear and learn something about how to live knowing God’s love and wanting to do God’s will. So when you pray, ask God to use the sermons that are preached here at New Hope to change lives. Ask God to speak through me. When you come into our sanctuary on a Sunday morning, take a moment to ask God to use the whole worship service as well as the sermon to get truth and assurance of God’s care into all of our hearts and especially into those who have been far away from God.

No comments: