Saturday, June 13, 2009

Bible Study and New Hope 101

Sunday, May 31 was a good day for me because of our worship, our Bible Study assembly, and New Hope 101.

It was good to have our Bible Study Director Ruth Bradley gather some of us in the sanctuary for “Dive into Bible Study.” Under Director Ruth we got a broad overview of our Bible teaching program here at New Hope.
We have three adult Sunday morning classes taught by Ruth Bradley, Mel Lyons, and me. Vernon Buchanan is the assistant teacher in our one-book-of-the-Bible-at-a-time-class. The classes taught by Ruth and Mel use Smyth and Helwys material to give them guidance each week. We also have one Tuesday evening group meeting at Royal Palm Club House studying the Bible teachings of John Ortberg led by Boyd Frank. Youth and Children’s Bible study is taking place mostly on Wednesday nights with Leesa Holloway teaching the children and Cheryl Secunda teaching the youth. In addition, Evan Young and Leesa Holloway make youth and children’s Bible study available on Sunday mornings and Cheryl teaches children on Saturday mornings.

New Hope 101 met at 5pm and was attended by 12 people. Four were church members giving support and learning what I am teaching to define our church and our place among Baptists and other denominations. Five were very new to our church and used 101 as an opportunity to learn more about us. David and Beth Gibbons and Ruth Nearon had been attending and decided to sign the membership covenant and join New Hope. Here are the four promises of our membership covenant.

1. I will protect the unity of my church by acting in love toward other members, refusing to gossip, and following the leaders.
2. I will share the responsibility of my church by praying for its growth, building relationships with unbelievers and inviting them to attend, and warmly welcoming those who visit.
3. I will serve the ministry of my church by discovering my gifts, being equipped to serve by my pastors, and developing a servant’s heart.
4. I will support the testimony of my church by living a godly life, attending faithfully, and giving regularly and proportionately of my income.

No comments: