Thursday, December 18, 2008

Our Trust Is in God's Faithfulness

We have been hearing about the dire straights of the automobile manufacturers, "The Big Three." We hear predictions of massive job losses. We Americans will buy a whole lot less on credit. We will spend less and get by on less. We will, I pray, depend more on God.

I think of a hymn about God’s trustworthiness: “Great Is Thy Faithfulness,” number 54 in our hymnal. The words of the comforting chorus are inspired by the prophet Jeremiah found in the Bible in Lamentations 3.

Great is thy faithfulness. Great is thy faithfulness.
Morning by morning new mercies I see.
All I have needed thy hand hath provided.
Great is thy faithfulness, Lord, unto me.

Will Christians allow their thoughts and feelings to be shaped by words from the Bible like these and by their deep awareness of God's mercy? Can you hear these words being sung and felt by each of us at New Hope Baptist Church?

No comments: