Thursday, November 20, 2008

Giving Thanks for Life

This past Wednesday I attended the funeral of the Reverend Jim Hammock, founding pastor of Compass Community Church in Apopka. I had known Jim for years, but had not seen him in more than two years. He preached a revival for me in 2002. We were in a Peer Learning Group together for three years. Jim was a kind, thoughtful man who loved his church and family. While scuba diving in the Keys, he died of a heart attack. His funeral was a celebration of his life, but it also was a reminder of how short life is. Jim was only 57 years old.

I came back from the funeral thanking God for my wife and family, my friends, and my church. It focuses the mind to have such a vivid reminder that life on this earth can come to an end at any moment.

Life is gift. God decided to share the joy of being alive with us. I did nothing to deserve my time on this earth. God simply gave me this chance at life.

I want to thank God in words and in deeds. I want to live with an underlying awareness that this time is all I get, and I don’t want to waste it. Thank God for the holidays when we get to be with those we love most. Maybe you know Edgar Guest’s poem, “Thanksgiving.” Here is a piece of it.

Bowed are our heads for a moment in prayer;
Oh, but we’re grateful an’ glad to be there.

Bring all the wanderers home to the nest,
Let me sit down with the ones I love best,
Hear the old voices still ringin’ with song,
See the old faces unblemished by wrong,
See the old table with all of its chairs
An’ I’ll put soul in my Thanksgivin’ prayers.

May you be with people you love this Thanksgiving and Christmas. May you put soul in your Thanksgiving prayers. Reach out to those who are lonely. Do some work of love for those who are in grief. Life is gift – God’s good gift.

No comments: